2 June 2016

Author Q&A Session #80: With Emily Benet


Hello dear readers,

Yes I know I'm so lucky to chat with so many talented authors in a single. Don't you worry, I'm also sharing each and every exclusive part of these discussions with you. So all you need to do is keep scrolling and keep reading about these author interviews.

C'mon readers, let's welcome another skilled and brilliant author, Emily Benet, on my blog with a big warm hug. So without wasting any more second, let's chat with her about her new book, #PleaseRetweet, and about many other such great bookish stuffs.

Don't go anywhere, keep reading!


Read the review of #PleaseRetweet




Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Emily. Congratulations on your new book, #PleaseRetweet. How will you express your feelings about this  book that has already won the hearts of so many readers?

Emily:
Blimey. That sounds very lovely. I haven't actually got a clue how many people have read it or how many hearts it has won! I should probably ask the publisher. All I can say is, I wrote the book I set out to write and the kind of novel I wanted to read. It's a quirky romantic comedy, which pokes fun at social media users. I'm proud of it!


Me: How did you research for your book that about the current social media trends? Can you tell us briefly about it?

Emily: I've been a blogger since 2008 and my blog directly led to my first published book Shop Girl Diaries. This success story opened doors for me and led to me running workshops and giving talks on social media. Basically, I turned into a bit of a social media addict myself for a while!
"Social networks are pure ego worship," I overheard a cousin say. I was a bit struck by that and wanted to justify my use of it. But she's right. So much of it is about ME ME ME. I wrote #PleaseRetweet to have a laugh at it all. 


Me: Tell us one trait about your main character, May Sparks, that intrigues you the most.

Emily: She is great at tweeting on behalf of celebrities but sometimes it fills her with self-loathing. She is torn between what she is good at and what is the right thing to do. I'm sure most people paying their way in life will relate! 


Me: How will you describe your journey so far as an author?

Emily: A massive learning curve. I've had three book published and each experience has taught me something new. In the past, I've been a bit naive and too ready to believe publishers and marketing teams have all the answers. However I think as an author I need to trust my instincts too and know when and when not to compromise. After all I've learnt, I'm curious to know how things will go for book four!


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be an author?


Emily: Yes. Like many authors out there, I was filling up notebooks with stories from an early age. Writing has been the one clear goal in my life! I always dreamt of making a living writing and that's what I'm finally doing. I'm talking about writing in general though, not just books!


Me: What other passions do you have apart from writing?

Emily: I'm a nature lover and am happiest when I'm outside in the sunshine. I love walking in the mountains and swimming in the sea. I've become a bit of a foodie over the years. I guess my idea of happiness is a lump of manchego cheese and a glass of red wine in the mountains with my wonderful husband...well, that's one of my ideas of happiness, I have many!


Me: What's next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.

Emily: I'm excited about my new book which I'm currently editing. It's set on the island of Mallorca and is about a Hen Party reality show. It starts with the director having lost the entire cast and crew and having to explain to her boss what has happened. You're drip fed the story by the hens and the director and it flips back and forth in time.  


Me: Thanks Emily for joining me today on this interview session. I wish you luck for all your future endeavors.

Emily: Thanks for having me! I really appreciate the support of book bloggers like you. As a blogger, I know how much energy and effort it takes to keep it all going!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily's Bio:


Emily Benet is a half-Spanish half-Welsh Londoner now living on the beautiful island of Mallorca. Got it? Never mind! What matters is that wherever she's lived, her obsession with writing has followed.

Her writing career kicked off when her weekly blog was spotted by Salt Publishing and they commissioned Shop Girl Diaries.

Next came her romantic comedy The Temp, and her brand new social-media teasing novel #PleaseRetweet, both published by Harper Collins' Harper Impulse.

Prior to writing full length books, Emily wrote short stories, many of which appeared in anthologies and performed at readings. She compiled her favourites for the book Short Stories for Busy Adults.

Since the success of her blog, Emily Benet has run social media workshops, contributed to several magazines, spoken at literary festivals and lectured at universities. Her guidebook Blogging for Beginners is available online.

Emily writes for SeeMallorca magazine and is currently working on a novel set on the island. If she's not writing or thinking about it, she's probably up a mountain or fast asleep.

 
Connect with Emily on: WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitter


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!