2 July 2015

Author Q&A Session #49: With Simon Packham



Hello Folks,

Welcome to a new Author Interview session and today we have the author who recreates the realistic worlds of teenagers so vividly with his mind-blowing and intriguing stories. Meet the YA author, Simon Packham, who just released his lasted YA book, Only We Know. So Simon is here to talk about his latest books, his inspirations, his journey as well as about his life beyond books and all.

Read the review of Only We Know here




Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Simon. Congratulations on your latest book, Only We Know. Can please share with us the story behind this book, Only We Know, in brief?

Simon: That’s hard without giving away spoilers! However. to cut a long story short, sixteen year old Lauren is starting at a new school. She’s had a hard time in the past (we’re not sure why) and it’s a chance to reinvent herself. The trouble is, one of the boys at her new school, Harry, knew her from before and it’s a real shock when Lauren runs into him. Luckily, he doesn’t recognise her. At least it seems that way. But what is the secret of Lauren’s past and why is she so keen that Harry doesn’t remember her?


Me: What was your source of inspiration for this book, Only We Know?

Simon: I was interested in the idea of a character meeting unexpectedly with someone from their past. But I needed a reason for this meeting not to be a simple catching up with old friends. Inspiration came in the form of a chance meeting on Christmas Day with a friend of my nephews’.


Me: How did research for this book, I mean how could you portray the voice of a young teenager girl who is going through so many hormonal as well as personality transformations?

Simon: I am lucky enough to have a teenage daughter about the same age as Lauren. This was invaluable when it came to writing. I was also helped massively by the person I met on Christmas day, who was very generous about answering my numerous e-mail enquiries. My sister, Francesca, is a child psychiatrist and, as with several of my other books, was able to offer many insights into questions relating to teenage mental health issues. Indeed the psychiatrist who appears in my earlier books, ‘comin 2 gt u’ and ‘Silenced’ is loosely based on Francesca.


Me: Tell us one trait of your main protagonist, Lauren that intrigues you the most?

Simon: The fact that although she has changed in so many ways, she remains the same person inside.


Me: When you wrote this book, what did you expect your readers to get away with after reading the book, Only We Know?

Simon: I like it that you get to know Lauren as a person before finding out about her past. So perhaps it’s that you shouldn’t make snap judgements about people, especially if they’re based on prejudice.


Me: How will you describe your journey so far as an author?

Simon: The most exciting time in my professional life was holding a copy of my first published novel; almost as exciting was having my work published in different languages and reading a kind review in my favourite newspaper. It took me about seven years of trying to get into print, but I didn’t give up and it was worth the wait. But I also realizes that publication is not a mark of quality – merely a sign that someone thinks they can sell your work and probably of a certain amount of persistence. I would still write if no one wanted to publish me. I suppose it’s the way I try to make sense of the world.


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be an Young Adult author?

Simon: My first dream was to be an actor and I worked in theater (and a bit on television) for twenty years. But I have always written too. It was only when my children were small and I didn’t want to spend weeks away from home that I really tried to write professionally. I started writing books for adults, but my interest in writing for younger readers came out of an attempt to write something for my son (then about eleven) that wasn’t about teenage spies or wizards.


Me: What other passions do you have apart from writing?



Simon: I still love the theater and often visit London to see new productions. I was once a keen footballer (too old now!) but I still play a bit of tennis when I can. I also write music and play the violin.


Me: What's next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.

Simon: For the first time in eight years I’m not completely sure. I just completed a ‘mash up’ of a parody of a gothic novel and a contemporary YA book about a twelve year old cathedral chorister investigating a series of bizarre murders. I’m now turning it into a play! I’m also working on three or four new ideas, which I hope will eventually find their way into print.


Me: Thank you so much Simon for joining me today on this interview session. I wish you luck for all your future endeavors.


Simon: Thank you so much!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Simon's Bio:



They call me Simon 'three sheds' Packham. No they don't. Although I confess to being the balding man in the photograph, sadly I don't own three sheds. Welcome to my website anyway! After twenty years as an actor, (if you didn't blink you might have caught me on The Bill or standing behind Dame Judi Dench in a mask) and a few more looking after small children, I decided to get serious about my writing. Although I have published some adult fiction, 'Trust Games' is the fifth book in a series for younger readers set at the fictional St Thomas's Community College.


Connect with Simon on: Website | Twitter | GoodReads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!